Hand specialists are focused on hand ailments and skilled at identifying and treating all types of finger, wrist and hand issues. To get the most benefit from seeing a hand specialist, choose a NJ hand specialist surgeon with board certification in plastic surgery along with years of experience in complex microsurgery.
After all, your hands function with a complicated interplay of bones, muscle, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels and nerves, making microsurgery skill crucial. Also, your hands play a big role in representing you and making a good impression on the world—so they should look as good as they function, and as good as they feel after hand surgery or associated treatment.
What Sets a True Hand Specialist Apart?
When you choose a northern NJ hand specialist to perform your hand surgery or hand treatment, you can count upon:
More Options for Treatment of Your Hands
Choosing a top hand specialist gives you the most options for treatment, because a specialized hand surgeon keeps up with the latest treatment methods and surgical innovations in the field.
You will only limit yourself if you choose a general surgeon or an inexperienced hand surgeon. These individuals might only be skilled at certain treatment modalities—so they may fail to suggest an option that might be best for you. Only the best option will do when you’re seeking to recover quickly and completely from hand surgery.
Increased Safety for You
A hand specialist is very familiar with all the complications and risk management that hand surgery entails. Hand surgery is very safe, but like all surgical procedures carries some risk.
When you choose not only an experienced surgeon, but an experienced hand surgeon, you get someone who is familiar with what to do if a specific complication occurs during or after surgery.
You also get someone with excellent surgical judgment who uses meticulous methods to perform surgery with low risk compared to a less-experienced surgeon.
Less Stress for You
Your Bergen County hand specialists keep up with the latest and best surgical methods to limit scarring and speed healing, shortening your recovery.
When you choose a well qualified and experienced hand surgeon, you will feel more confident going into your hand surgery which can make the whole experience easier and more pleasant for you.
Shorter Recovery Time and Lower Overall Costs
Even though an experienced hand surgeon may have higher fees, he or she also stands an excellent chance of preventing the need for further surgery on your part. This saves you pain, recovery time and may also save you the cost of having a second surgery.
A hand specialist limits the chances of complications, like excessive bleeding, and also minimizes the chance of excess scar tissue by using advanced surgical techniques and the smallest possible incisions.
Superior Attention to Detail
Choose a hand specialist with plastic and reconstructive experience. This way, you get the advantage of deep experience and intimate anatomical knowledge to ensure your complex hand surgery is done right.
In addition, your hands will also look as good as possible with little to no scarring due to your surgeon’s well attuned aesthetic judgment.
An Excellent Outcome
Top hand surgeons can consistently produce good results for patients. In addition, an expert hand surgeon uses microsurgery techniques to ensure that your blood supply is maintained or enhanced after surgery.
This keeps your hands strong and healthy into the future. Your skilled hand surgeon will take great care to maintain or improve your nerve function as well.
The Ability to Provide Increased Dexterity, Stronger Hands and Freedom from Pain
As skilled hand surgeons, these are the goals we strive for with every hand surgery patient we treat.
Finding The Perfect Hand Specialist: A Checklist
Your NJ hand surgery specialist should have these qualifications:
- Stellar reputation with the state of NJ Dept. of Consumer Affairs
- Board certification in general surgery and plastic surgery
- More than 10 years of surgical experience—including reconstructive hand surgery
- Maintains surgical privileges—at a top hospital (even though your surgery will likely not be performed in a hospital, privileges tell you that the surgeon has been vetted by the hospital)
- Provides an accurate diagnosis and demonstrates an understanding of your needs – clearly explaining how they can be achieved through hand surgery
- Acknowledges risks and informs you about any possible complications
- Discloses all surgical costs
- Shows dedication and interest in your needs
- Has a confident demeanor
- Displays honesty
- Earns your confidence and inspires trust
Ask the Tough Questions: Your Surgeon Can Handle It
Observing how your NJ hand specialist conducts your consultation will tell you a lot. Remember, the best hand surgeons are in the profession to help you, not themselves. Meeting with the hand surgeon will help you determine if your surgeon is well qualified, but also the right one for you:
- How many hand surgeries have you performed this year? How many in your whole career?
- What is wrong with my hand?
- What can I expect after my recovery? (Restored movement, less pain, more grip strength?)
- Why am I a good candidate for the procedure?
- Are you a reconstructive surgeon?
- Where will my surgery be performed?
- Will I have a scar? Where will it be?
- How much recovery time will be needed? (Most hand surgery procedures have a short recovery period.)
- And any further questions you may have
Wondering if You Need Hand Surgery? Cohen/Winters Can Help
Hand surgery is by nature delicate, precise and complex, making microsurgical skill, reconstructive experience and years in practice critical. Make sure you gain a complete recovery and maximum symptom improvement from your hand injury, trauma or disease—by choosing the right NJ hand specialist for you.
The surgeons of Cohen/Winters Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery in Bergen County are here to help with a no-charge consultation to see if hand surgery is right for you.