Hand surgery, which is inherently complex, requires a surgeon with a unique combination of surgical skills and experience. Hand surgery procedures also require superior surgical facilities and top-notch medical support staff. How do you know which NJ hand surgery center is best for you? Here are some of the qualities you should look for:
- A top hand surgeon. Your surgeon is the key to a successful hand surgery and complete recovery with the very best result possible for you. When you choose a highly qualified NJ hand surgeon that you trust, you’ll also have found the best hand surgery center. In some cases, minor hand surgeries may take place in the medical office, rather than a separate surgery center or surgery suite.
- Your hand surgery expert should maintain hospital surgical privileges at a renowned local NJ institution such as Hackensack University Medical Center. Your hand surgery will likely not take place in a hospital operating room, but surgical privileges tell you that the hospital management have vetted the skills and performance of your hand surgeon.
- Your hand surgery specialist should have experience in reconstructive surgery, even if the hand surgery that you require is not so advanced. This type of training and experience ensures a deep level of knowledge of hand function and comprehensive surgical abilities.
- Experience in orthopedic surgery and microsurgery are also hallmarks of a top New Jersey hand surgeon. Orthopedic training and experience prepare your surgeon to repair the musculoskeletal system, which enables movement. Microsurgery, performed with the aid of magnification, is often needed to restore nerve function in the hands after nerves have been damaged by disease or severed due to an injury and to ensure an adequate blood supply to the surgery area.
- Plastic surgery training is also key to the best hand surgery outcome at your NJ hand surgery center. Your surgeon should be experienced in aesthetics to ensure your incision is placed so that scars are well hidden in the crease of your hand whenever possible and sutures are placed with just the right amount of tension for optimal healing.
- Look for rapport with your expert hand surgeon. Rapport is crucial because this helps to establish a trusting relationship between you and your hand surgeon. You must not only trust that your surgeon is capable of treating and repairing your hands, but also that he or she is invested in your outcome. Choose a surgeon who shows interest in you as an individual and who won’t be happy with anything less than the best possible outcome. Choose the surgeon with whom you can talk honestly and with whom you feel comfortable.
- Seek out surgeons with a calling: We suggest choosing a hand surgery center like Cohen/Winters Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery in Bergen County, where our mission is to improve your life by recommending the right hand surgery at the right time. We are committed to your wellbeing and we will advise you as we would a family member. We will perform your surgery with all the care and precision possible, using our years of experience and specialized training, to achieve the best results for you.
Identifying an Ideal Hand Surgery Center
Provided you’ve chosen a top NJ hand specialist, the surgery center used by his or her practice is also likely to be top notch. (In fact, ours is owned by top local surgeons.) If your hand surgery takes place in a surgery center rather than the medical office, it should be:
- High tech: A top hand surgery center, like our Vanguard Surgical Center here in Maywood, NJ, is well equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and surgical monitoring devices to ensure you receive the most advanced care possible.
- Safe: An elite hand surgery center should have an excellent safety record and certification. Our Vanguard Surgical Center is accredited by the AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare) to uphold the highest standards for patient care and safety. Our multi-specialty ambulatory surgery center is duly registered with the State of NJ Dept. of Health. The facility is inspected regularly by both the NJ state health dept. and the accreditation association to maintain proper certifications.
- Comfortable: In addition, your chosen surgery center should be immaculate with no indication of neglect. There should be a comfortable recovery area where you will be monitored by medical personnel until you’re ready to be released. Overnight stays should be available at your chosen surgery center, but are not typically needed with hand surgery.
- Conveniently located: You can request a tour of the surgery center at your consultation. Elite hand surgeons typically have a surgery center located adjacent to their offices or nearby, for the convenience of patients. Our surgery center, Vanguard Surgical Center, is located next door to our offices.
- Staffed with high level medical personnel: Your surgery center should be staffed with a medical support team hand picked by your expert hand surgeon. Top surgeons typically attract top anesthesiologists, physician assistants, nurses and other medical staff. Our full time anesthesiologists, for example, are board certified and Ivy League trained. Our surgery center, Vanguard, is owned by an elite group of surgeons, including the top surgeons from a number of specialties including hand surgery.
If you’re suffering from pain or restricted movement in your hands, you owe it to yourself to find the very best New Jersey hand surgery center. Don’t settle for less than our industry-leading Vanguard Surgical Center.
At Cohen/Winters Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery in Bergen County, NJ, we specialize in hand surgery and partner with you for success. We would be happy to meet with you to discuss how hand surgery might benefit you. We urge you to schedule a consultation at our NJ hand surgery center today.