When you’re investing your time and money in a tummy tuck procedure, (not to mention your hopes and dreams) you naturally expect the best outcome. You also want the best surgical experience possible with a fast, pain-free and worry-free recovery.
You not only want all these things, but you also deserve them. You deserve to have New Jersey’s top plastic surgeons working for you. (Don’t worry, the top tummy tuck surgeons aren’t necessarily the ones that charge the most–or the least.)
You want the most qualified and trustworthy surgeon in the entire Bergen County area. Perhaps most importantly, you want the surgeon that understands your needs, who takes pride in his or her work, and who cares about your goals and desires.
Finding the Best Tummy Tuck Surgeon in Northern NJ: Where Do I Start?
First, keep it firmly in mind that you have unique objectives for your surgery and unique needs that should be considered by every tummy tuck surgeon that you meet. All else being equal, the surgeon that is best for one person may not be the one that is best for you.
As you search for an expert abdominoplasty surgeon, keep in mind that training, experience, and track record are all crucial–but so is the surgeon’s suitability for and rapport with you.
Although not an absolute necessity, dual board certification in general surgery and plastic surgery ensures that your surgeon has extensive training in abdominal wall defects, hernias, and reconstruction.
It may seem a bit tedious or frustrating looking for a stellar plastic surgeon in Northern NJ because there are many to choose from. But you will soon find that it is worth the effort. Conducting research in advance helps you get into the right state of mind for tummy tuck surgery.
It raises your confidence when you find the person that you know is the right surgeon—and helps make your attitude towards the outcome even more positive. Going in confident speeds your recovery and ensures a better tummy tuck result.
Here are some expert tips on locating the best tummy tuck surgeons in Bergen County to advise you and perform your abdominoplasty.
A Successful Tummy Tuck Surgery
Here’s why it takes an expert surgeon to properly manage all the details of a successful tummy tuck. There are many variables that your tummy tuck surgeon must balance for the very best outcome.
When you select a surgeon with experience, training and total commitment to your health, you can be sure that your procedure is individualized to fit your unique body type, goals and needs.
Your tummy tuck will be carefully planned in advance–but many particulars still remain to be dealt with during surgery. Some of the important tummy tuck details and issues the surgeon must adjust for during the procedure include:
- The amount of separation between the abdominal muscles. By selecting the proper tightening technique, the surgeon ensures that the tightened muscles will properly support the body’s core after surgery and throughout life.
- Any hernia repair needed or repair of prior damage or injury to the abdominal wall.
- Possible need for mesh to support the abdominal area.
- Removing excess fat and skin while preserving adequate blood supply and sufficient fat underlying the skin. This is essential for a long-lasting, natural-looking, smooth result.
- Removing the pocket of fat above the pubic bone, typically present in women who have been pregnant — to avoid a bumpy result.
- Liposuction to thin the fat layer and smooth contours between areas of the abdomen.
- Closing the incision without undue tension/pulling on the skin. This keeps the scar thin and makes healing quicker. However, the surgeon must apply enough tension to create a firm, taut tummy.
- Selecting proper, central placement for the belly button (in a full tummy tuck) to correspond to the pre-surgical anatomy or the overall length of the torso.
Beyond the above examples, there are, of course, many more technical considerations that must be properly handled to provide the optimal surgical outcome for the patient.
Finding the Top Abdominoplasty Surgeon in NJ
Seeing how important surgical technique and experience are should help fuel your hunt for the best tummy tuck surgeon. You will find some of the best tummy tuck surgeons in the US right here in Bergen County.
Here’s how to locate not only a great plastic surgeon, but also the right tummy tuck plastic surgeon for you.
- Check board certification: You’re looking for American Board of Plastic Surgery certification. This board alone is authorized to certify plastic surgeons by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Additional certification in General Surgery by the American Board of Surgery is a bonus.
- Meet with surgeons in person: An email or online consultation won’t give you the clearest idea of whether the plastic surgeon is the right one for your needs. You may want to meet with a few plastic surgeons before your tummy tuck decision is made.
- Find a surgeon who takes the time to clearly explain the abdominoplasty surgery and answer all your questions completely. Make sure your questions are not ignored.
- Understand all surgical costs: Cost will vary depending on the area/region of the country, the surgeon’s experience and training levels and how involved your surgery will be. (The more complex your case is, the longer the surgery will take and the more it might cost.) Your surgeon should be able to tell you this in detail after meeting with you. You must also factor in fees for a pre-surgery physical exam, x-rays, and blood testing.
- Trust your gut: Even the most experienced surgeon may not be the “right” surgeon for everyone. Good physician-patient relationships are built on feelings of mutual understanding and trust.
Questions to Ask Your Tummy Tuck Surgeon
Here are some suggestions based on our experience, but be sure to add your own questions to the list:
- How many tummy tucks have you performed? How many this year?
- What details can you tell me about your surgical plan for me specifically?
- Where do you predict the abdominoplasty incisions will be?
- Is my tummy tuck surgery goal achievable? (Part of your tummy tuck surgeon’s responsibility is to make sure you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck with realistic goals. Your surgeon will determine this by looking at your health and medical history, your age, weight, skin elasticity, your motivation and realistic objectives for the outcome–and more.)
- What type of anesthesia will be needed for my tummy tuck? What are the anesthesiologist’s qualifications?
- Is my follow-up care included in the total cost of surgery?
- Where will the surgery be performed? Verify that the surgical center is accredited. Plastic surgery can take place safely only at hospitals or accredited surgical centers. Accreditation ensures that the surgery center lives up to certain standards for cleanliness, record keeping and more.
- Ask about hospital privileges: Hospitals provide an additional vetting of a surgeon’s competency. Check to see that the surgeon has operating privileges for tummy tucks at an accredited hospital, even if you are actually having your tummy tuck at a surgery center or outpatient clinic.
Evaluating Your Meeting with the Tummy Tuck Surgeon in Bergen County
After meeting with a plastic surgeon about your tummy tuck, ask yourself:
- Has the surgeon explained the tummy tuck surgical procedure clearly?
- Did I have his/her complete attention?
- Was I asked about my goals for the tummy tuck outcome?
- Were the risks associated with tummy tuck surgery explained to me?
- Am I being rushed to sign anything, to decide now or pay now? Was I encouraged to have additional, unrelated procedures?
- Have the surgical costs been explained to me?
- Is the cost way too low or too high compared to others? (Don’t sacrifice peace of mind for a “bargain” tummy tuck. Your health and safety must be your priority. You should also come away with the feeling that the surgeon is prioritizing your health as well.)
- Am I comfortable with this plastic surgeon? (Be sure to choose a surgeon who has earned your confidence.)
Consult with An Expert at Cohen/Winters about Your Tummy Tuck
If you live here in Northern NJ, we would love to meet with you to discuss your goals for tummy tuck surgery. At Cohen/Winters, we feel that finding the right patient is just as important for us as finding the right plastic surgeon is for you.
We love what we do, but we won’t suggest or agree to surgery if it’s not right for you in our professional opinion.
We chose a helping and healing profession in aesthetic and reconstructive surgery because we truly want to help. We would love to be responsible for making a positive change in your life, whether it involves you having tummy tuck surgery or not. We are happy to meet with you at no charge to help you determine your next steps and answer your questions about abdominoplasty.