There is always lots of chatter online about what makes a plastic surgeon the “best” one for breast implants — and it all boils down to this important fact: it’s completely up to you. Beyond verifying experience, NJ licensure and ABPS board certification (which is a must to ensure that your surgeon is eminently qualified), locating the ideal surgeon is a personal decision you must make. Doing so may involve meeting with two or even three plastic surgeons, although many women find their best surgeon for breast implants at their first consultation.
Nearly everyone agrees, the more research you do online, the less time your overall plastic surgeon search may take. Your web research about breast implants and surgeons can narrow down the field greatly so that you don’t have to spend lots of time on in-person consultations with multiple surgeons. Keep in mind that you can learn a lot during a breast implant consultation, even if that particular surgeon ends up not being the best one for you in the end.
Only Meet with Experts and Choose Your Best Surgeon from that Group
Go straight to the top to avoid wasting your time when seeking a plastic surgeon for breast implants in NJ. Check for top credentials as listed below. Referrals from a close friend or relative are very valuable and can also save you time—however, the surgeon who is right for your friend may not be the best choice for you. If you think your pal may be insulted if you don’t choose his or her recommended surgeon, let your referring friend know that you plan to meet with multiple breast specialists.
How to Know When You’ve Found the Right Surgeon for Breast Implants
We always stress the importance of trusting your chosen surgeon because your breast specialist will need to provide lots of advice about complex topics when you’re getting breast implants. Even though the final decision about the implant size, type of implant, etc., is your own, your NJ plastic surgeon’s insight and experience with each type will be invaluable for you.
We recently posted a breast implant guide that covers the types of implants, along with size options, shape, materials and more. As you can see in that post—there are many variables when finding just the right implants for you. Only the right surgeon can provide you the best advice about breast implants in detail. With this sage advice, you can feel confident that you’ve chosen the perfect breast implants for you and expect a successful surgery.
Proceed only with the trusted advice from of expert NJ breast surgeons, and avoid the all-too-common “trial-and-error surgery” experience with breast implant types and sizes. In that situation, you might endure disappointment and perhaps multiple surgeries to get what you really want from your breast augmentation procedure. Avoid regret, excess risk and expense by taking your time to find the best surgeon for you. Here are some crucial pointers to ensure you’ve found the best plastic surgeon for breast implants:
- Board certification from ABPS: The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties for plastic surgery. The relatively new ABCS (American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, a board not recognized by the ABMS) allows gynecologists, oral surgeons, dermatologists or family practice doctors to complete a short “cosmetic” fellowship, and get their certificate in cosmetic surgery. Career plastic surgeons, with more years of focused training, are typically certified by the ABPS (American Board of Plastic Surgery). You can verify this proper board certification at www.CertificationMatters.org.
- State medical license: Verify your breast surgeon’s license with the NJ state Consumer Affairs Department.
- Concentration on plastic surgery of the breast: The best breast implant surgeons spend most of their time doing breast surgery. A group practice with other surgeons may specialize in several types of plastic surgery, including face and/or body–but your chosen NJ breast surgeon should be one who focuses on plastic surgery of the breast. An expert technique is crucial for a consistently favorable outcome from breast implant surgery. It’s okay (and a good idea) to ask your surgeon about this. Experienced surgeons are not offended by these questions.
- More than 5 years in practice: It takes more than a couple years to become an expert in this field.
- Reconstructive surgery expertise: A breast implant surgeon who is experienced at reconstruction is at the top of his or her field. A breast reconstructive surgeon has gained in-depth knowledge of breast function and anatomy that can improve your outcome.
- Word of mouth: Ask your prospective breast plastic surgeon to let you contact a former patient. You can also ask your friends or relatives if they have had a good experience, as well as check for sanctions online with New Jersey Consumer Affairs.
- Aesthetic understanding: Does your surgeon seem to have a “type” of implant outcome that appears over and over in their photo book? Does it match what you would like for your results? Some breast surgeons have more of an artistic sense and sense of body balance than others. Choose the plastic surgeon you trust to achieve your desired appearance by looking at the evidence.
- Surgical privileges: Choose an NJ plastic surgeon who is authorized to work in a well-known hospital’s operating rooms. (Your breast implant surgery will probably take place in a surgery center on an outpatient basis, however.) Hospital affiliation gives you another vote of confidence about your breast augmentation surgeon’s abilities.
- Works at an accredited surgery center: Most of the top plastic surgeons will use only an accredited surgical center, but checking and asking questions is a good idea. Expert breast surgeons in NJ also typically attract the best nursing staff, surgical assistants, and anesthesiologists, but it can be good for your overall confidence level if you ask about the qualifications of these colleagues.
- Honesty and open communication lines: If your breast implant goal is not realistic, your plastic surgeon should tell you. Honesty is very important to make sure you don’t meet with an unwelcome surprise, rather than the outcome you wanted, after breast surgery. Your surgeon should discuss with you how he or she will achieve your goal surgically. This will help you gauge their commitment to careful planning, their understanding of the goal you’re looking for and it will help give you an idea of whether they have the skill (and motivation) to achieve it.
Set Up a Consultation about Your Breast Implants
Getting breast implants can be an incredibly satisfying experience, improving the way you feel on the inside, along with providing the look you want on the outside. As you navigate the sizes, shapes, and types of breast implants, you’ll do best with a dedicated expert breast surgeon at your side to help. Breasts are so much a part of our identity as women and only the very best results will suffice.
When you’re ready to find the surgeon who will work with you and become your expert partner in your breast implant experience, you can start right here in NJ. At my practice in Bergen County, Cohen/Winters Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, I’m here to help you achieve your goals for breast augmentation.
I’ve been through this transformational experience with so many wonderful women and feel I have a unique understanding of my patient’s needs, as a woman and a breast surgeon. I am happy to offer you a personalized consultation about breast implants, so contact my office today!